Sunday 5 June 2011

How would changing your religion affect your life (family, friends, etc)?

If have been trained to believe in some religion, but later you start to have your own beliefs. How difficult would it be to expose that to people like your family, friends, school, church... etc?





Do you think they will be stunned to find out that you want to change your religion or become an atheist or an agnostic... ?





Will they hate you for this?





What do you think would be the consequences and/or effects of doing so?|||I%26#039;m sure I%26#039;d shock the hell out of a lot of people if I suddenly became religious but I%26#039;m pretty sure I wouldn%26#039;t lose any friends over it.|||they would have me committed because i told them if i ever become a bible thumper, then i%26#039;ve been brain washed or hit on the head.|||I became an atheist and my mother and other family members accepted it, my little 12 year old cousin is agnostic.|||You can%26#039;t change your religion. The only things you can change are membership in a religious organization and superficial opinions.





If that%26#039;s all your religion is, feel free.|||Just tell them.





If your family is christian then they%26#039;ll have to forgive you, but know that they%26#039;ll be praying for your soul for the rest of time because deep down they%26#039;ll believe that you%26#039;ve fallen from the wagon.





Religion preaches violence and spreads propaganda around the world. Boycotte it!|||My former Christian friends are very upset and have been playing serious politics since I left the Church. Now I have way better Buddhist, atheist and liberal minded Christian friends so its all good|||How much you expose is how much you are comfy with. My religion is personal so I don%26#039;t run around wearing it on a tee shirt %26quot;I am Pagan!%26quot;. I don%26#039;t hide my jewelry either but most people don%26#039;t notice the pagan reference anyway. My immediate family was not surprised to find out that I had gone in a new direction, a few others were surprised but pretty much ok. No one in my circle of friends and family have hated me for accepting the real me. Some outsiders have been nasty...but they aren%26#039;t important so it%26#039;s all on them. As for consequences, none really that I can think of.|||As being as I know that God is real and so is Hell and Satan


then I would be stupid to change to something I know is not real.|||Depends on the family, really. When I changed rreligions, my mother was supportive, and completely okay with it (in fact, I think she suspected I would). Whereas my step father and grandmother make fun of the fact that I%26#039;m no longer Christian. So sometimes your family is supportive, and other times not. For me, it%26#039;s difficult because I won%26#039;t tell teh rest of my family because I don%26#039;t want to have to listen to them mock me or be upset that I %26#039;left god%26#039; or any crap like that.