Sunday 5 June 2011

What,if ever,is your life changing experience?

What event has changed your life completly?|||April 18th, 2004. That is my sobrioty date. I%26#039;m a recovering alcaholic. That day, was the beginning of my new life. I am now alive, and know how to face the world.|||When she said %26quot;I do%26quot;.|||When my only sister and my Mom died...|||I%26#039;ve made several life choices. The biggest one was leaving a secure job with government to pursue a writing career. I%26#039;ve been unemployed many times since, but I have seven books published and it%26#039;s been a lot of fun. I do not regret it.|||A series of back injuries that occurred in 2006.





I had been seeing a Chiropractor for several years, and when I went one day for a regularly scheduled, monthly treatment, as I lay down -face down - on the treatment table, when I was within about four inches of having lain completely down, something snapped, and I started screaming my head off.





I had never - I was 72 yrs. old at the time - in all my life experienced such excruciating, unbearable pain. The doctor had not even touched me yet, so he was in no way at fault.





After about five minutes, he and his nurse were finally able to get me upright into a setting position, and most of the pain then subsided.





For about a week, a went about my daily business and although my back hurt, it was in no way incapacitating. But I went to the VA medical center where I receive most of my medical treatment, got some pain medication, and didn%26#039;t think to much about it.





But then a couple of weeks later, I was bending over to pick up a gal. of milk from the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, and something else snapped. And then the nightmare began.





X-rays were taken at the VA, and it was discovered that two of my lower back vertetrae were fractured and the discks were ruptured. During the course of the next two weeks, two more vertebrae fractured, with disks also rupturing..





The VA scheduled cat scans and an MRI; but these take time to arrange there, they are so overloaded.





During the waiting periods, I took every conceivable kind of pain killers: morphine, methodone, oxycodone, you name it, I took it.





But nothing worked. It got so bad I couldn%26#039;t risk laying down at night to sleep, because I couldn%26#039;t stand the pain of getting out of bed in the morning. Had to begin sleeping in a lazy boy recliner, but only got at the most 2 hrs. sleep at night. I almost lost my mind.





This went on for about 4 mos., but finally all the MIR%26#039;s were completed, and the VA scheduled me for an epidural, which finally worked, relieving me of about 95% of the pain.





But I now have to use a %26quot;walker%26quot; whenever I go out, and am guess what you would say, a semi-invalid.





Nothing that ever happened to me before, so drastically changed my lifestyle as the above.





Wotan|||7 pm, Wednesday 14th July 1977


One of the streets near Currie Street, Adelaide.


Was reborn in a paradise.


Someone wearing a red jacket transformed the world for me.





Same person, last sighted


walking past Rundle Street post office,


around 4pm, Wednesday 18th May 1983,


wearing white t-shirts, jeans, runners.


Ran to say hello but had disappeared.