Saturday 24 September 2011

Can you name any books that challenge your mind/change your life?

Any novels that made you ask questions about things, or that changed your life significantly?
Can you name any books that challenge your mind/change your life?
I spent 35 minutes answering this one and yahoo killed my answer, so now all you get is the list.



1. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Euxpery

2. The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

3. More than Human by Theodore Sturgeon

4. I Am A Strange Loop - Douglas Hofstadter

5. Man's Search For Meaning- Viktor Frankl

books/stories by Ursula le Guin that changed my life:

6. %26quot;The Ones Who Walk from Omelas%26quot;

7. The Left Hand of Darkness

8. Very Far From Anywhere Else (the best adolescent fiction ever written,)

9. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

10. A Brief History of Decay - E.M. Cioran



I have always kept three books on my desk, a Bible a dictionary and the complete works of Shakespeare. At 20 I had the Bible on top followed by Shakespeare then the dictionary. At 25 I had Shakespeare bible dictionary. At 30 Shakespeare Dictionary Bible. At 35 it was Dictionary, Shakespeare, Bible. Lately the Shakespeare has been gathering dust and the Bible is getting used second only to the dictionary. This tells my whole story in three books, sort of.
Can you name any books that challenge your mind/change your life?
The secret %26lt;3 the book
Tibetan Book of Living and Dying......
A walk across America by Peter Jenkins. I read it in College, and then hitch-hiked in 29 states.

I learned that people need water, shelter ,medicine, love, etc.
The alchemist, I feel that reading it made me a better person and changed my life for the better



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alchemi鈥?/a>
Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche is the most life-changing book I have ever read. It completely reworked how I think about things from entirely new perspectives. Reading some of Nietzsche's other books helped further enlighten me.



I used to think philosophy was a completely useless and stupid subject until this book.