Friday 16 September 2011

If there was proof of a God would you change your whole thought life?

Would you care? Would you try to find out more? Would your life change or would you continue your same life just with knowledge that he exists?
If there was proof of a God would you change your whole thought life?
Proof of God I already have in such prosaic places as the cry of a new born baby and more formal sources like the Scriptures - I assume though you refer to %26quot;rational%26quot; proof, and that would not do anything to my life,since I already believe God is.Such proof would just further serve to confirm that which I already know.
If there was proof of a God would you change your whole thought life?
I would not change my life in any way because I am happy doing what I am doing now. If God threatened to send me to hell I would try to find a way to destroy him.
Im an atheist and yes if there was proof it would change my beliefs.
If there were absolute proof of a god, which would mean that he'd finally get his omnipotent self down here and unambiguously proclaim and how his divinity to EVERYONE, without the medium of human %26quot;prophets,%26quot; I would say that he/she/it has a LOT of explaining to do...
I already believe 100%, I have enough proof.

Rev. TomCat
It would depend on the details. If it was the Deist God then I wouldn't have to change anything.
It depends. If he is the God that i have grown up to know to be kind hearted, good, omnipotent and all knowing, then I would do what would be best to serve him.



If not, i'll just do whatever it takes not to get him pissed off at me.
My life is spent trying to unravel the mysteries of the Universe (forgive the pretentious language!) I am looking for clues to abiogenetic pathways, develop means to detect possible biomarkers in exoplanetary atmospheres and ponder the implications of pre-Big-Bang physics on our existence. Whether there is a God or not, my life would not change: those are the questions I am still interested in.



Of course, that begs the question: how would one go about proving God? Logically, everything theologians have tried is an abject failure. Empirically, how would one distinguish between an actual God and a highly-advanced alien entity?



@brodan: there are several consistent scenarios describing pre-Big-Bang universe. Virtual particle production violates cause-effect relationships all the time. Your point?
I would certainly care and would be extremely interested. I would say my life would change considerably. The world may never know.
It's hard to imagine that such proof would or could ever surface, but I would change my life if it did. I would not necessarily follow this god (depending on which god it happened to be), but I would recognize his/her existence.
YES!

I would change EVERYTHING! I would absolutely seek him out and it would completely change my life. It would be super-exciting and crazy.

I'm serious. Everything would change.



But there's no proof. I've prayed. I've been a christian before for many years and I've studied the bible dilligently, but alas... I finally discovered that there is nothing real about god.



I'm an atheist now. I would love to see actual, irrefutable proof.



Yes. It would change everything.
I know of a few athiests who say they would Love for God to be real, and don't know any Christians who wish God wasn't real...



But the athiests who claim they wish don't really look, and so I'm doubtful if they would even want to know if we could prove He is real.



I think anybody who wants to believe in a God has plenty of reason to, and anybody who doesn't want to believe, God left them the option of not having to.
depends on how believable your proof is. if you could prove that the universe didn't always exist, then i would be intrigued to find out more. until then, it's a lost cause. if you could prove that the universe was never ending then i would be intrigued enough to learn more. if you could find a point of origin in the universe, i'd be interested in entertaining your notion.
if there was proof? there IS proof the thing is some see it some dont....the ones who dont see it will only see/accept it when it wont do them any good...if someone is waiting to speak with God or see Him in person to believe Him , he ll have to wait only a while.....but it will be too late...im not hateful im very sad.. salam.
Not much. I'd acknowledge the existence of god, but wouldn't give two shites about worship.
It depends on if there was proof that such a god wanted people to live, think and behave in a certain way. I would care and try to learn about this god and how active it was in influencing life on Earth. I don't think my life would change that much, although it would depend on what such a god did when it's existence was discovered.
If he was real and I learn of that, why would I do that when he has never done one damn thing for the people. I would just live my life as now and if he tried to screw around with me, then I would do anything to bring him down.
There can be no proof as that would destroy the need for faith.
On the other hand, if Science can explain what there was before this so-called %26quot;Planck time%26quot;, that there was an exception to the cause and effect principle, I might try to find out more.



As to the existence of God, I have valid knowledge. It is something I have proven to myself based on the principles of verbal testimony, comparison, experience and inference.



However, it is useless to explain my spiritual experiences to those who have not experienced them as well. It would be like explaining the taste of sugar to someone who can't tell what's sweet.
That depends entirely on what you mean by %26quot;God.%26quot;



For example, no proof adequately establish an all-powerful, all-knowing deity possessing the characteristics commonly ascribed to Jehovah.



No matter what miracles Jehovah performs, he's still only demonstrating a finite amount of power and knowledge. He can't demonstrate infinite to me.



So while a being could manifest itself to me and demonstrate wonders, and I could certainly be convinced that being is greater and more powerful than myself, it could not prove omnipotence and, therefore鈥攖o my mind鈥擥odhood.
If nothing changed other than the fact that it was known that he existed, I would change nothing because there would still be no evidence that anything that humans propound about him is true. My actions would be reactions to his actions, which is what religious people assume they are doing anyway- they assume their actions are reactions to what god has told them. If god actually existed, there would be no way for any human to know whether anything he said about the realm of the supernatural were true. The only thing humans would have to base their own actions on is the manifestations of his power in this world. That is, as I said, what religious people do, anyway, it's what I would do if there were actually any evidence that a god existed.

Many religious people claim that god appears to do nothing in the modern world because the bible is supposed to be evidence enough of god's power. If they are correct, I'd assume that god's condescending to make himself known to the modern world would be evidence that most likely a great deal of what was being said about him was untrue.

If, as other people say, god's power is always apparent, I would think that his making his power obvious to unbelievers was likewise an evidence that much that was being said about him was untrue.

If there actually were an omnipotent being in the universe, its existence would be obvious, anyway. That any all-powerful being would have to exert any effort to make its existence known negates the idea that it exists in the first place.
The proof of GOD is all around us. In nature and all that we see. The universe is too complex to have been made by accident.
No--I would not change anything. If there is a god, he has does nothing for me and I shall do the same for him/it/whatever.