Wednesday 26 October 2011

Has the Navy changed your life and your families life for the better?

This question is for anyone who served or is currently serving in the US Navy. Just want your personal experiences. How has the Navy made your life better and your families life better? What did you love most about serving? Was it worth it to you? What are the best things you got out of navy for you and your family?
Has the Navy changed your life and your families life for the better?
The Navy was a steady source of income while providing me with the training and experience that for the last 20 years has provided me with great jobs and pay.
Has the Navy changed your life and your families life for the better?
Sure... in my 15 years I finished my BA, MA, MBA, and started my PhD (all on the Navy's dime). I learned alot of interesting technical information, issues on national and international strategic and economic, and greatly improved my research and writing skills.



I also visited countries and learned cultures I never would have had the opportunity as a civilian: Japan, South Korea, Russia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, Tasmania, British Seychelles, Bahrain, UAE, Kuwait, Italy, Spain, and of course Mexico and Canada. NOT to mention driving across the USA twice and seeing States I might not have as a civilian.



I also got to see some of the most BEAUTIFUL sunsets and starlit skies far out to sea... as well as some beautiful coastlines and incredible sea life.



My first marriage sucked... beware of any woman who knows your LES better than YOU do !! My second marriage was a result of a gal I met later and is now in it's 18th HAPPY year.
6 months ago we couldn't afford to buy food, my husband and I wouldn't eat most days so that my daughter had food. my husband and i both had a full time jobs and my ex paid child support but we were still in way over our heads. child care alone was 600 a month. I was really sick and I couldn't afford to go to a doctor (they wanted to take 100 a month for insurance from my check and I couldn't afford to do that). the funniest part was the fact that I had just got out of the Marines (we weren't married at the time). almost overnight the Navy changed our lives... my husband is so happy again and the benefits don't hurt
Yes. It has been a wonderful experience for me. Going on my third enlistment. Seen and experienced things most of the people in this country never will. Have met some of the brightest and bravest the country has to offer. Have a new sense of understanding of world politics (Being in Intel has its advantages) and how the main stream media contorts the truth for their benefit. Most of all, Ive had a TON of fun and have a great job. Loving every minute of it and am looking forward to several more years.
Yes..getting bumbing buttocks at every port we stop in is great. I've got a son in Brazil and Japan I support. It has been too bad really. Yeah I like the Navy
I am a Navy veteran...and proud of it!



While my service wasn't always easy or fun. I had times when I down right hated it...but I've always been glad of it. I would do it all again.



I grew up and matured. I learned to be more tolerant of others. I learned life lessons that you don't learn in school.



I've been to 11 different countries. I loved to travel the most. I saw a lot of Asia. Japan is one of my favorite countries to visit. I got to live there for 2 years. I would love to go visit it again if I had the money...when I was AD I got to go for free.



It was hard being away from my family. I missed many birthdays and holidays...but the times I did go home on leave were meaningful.



I never married or had kids. I guess that was mostly personal choice, but the Navy does strain a relationship. By the time I would get close enough to open up to a boy friend one of us would transfer...I don't do long-distant relationships...



One of the best things I did for myself was to finish my education. I got my AA degree while serving and finished by BS degree my first year out with my GI bill.



I work at a local hospital now. I was a Navy Corpsman so the job training really helped me find a good job (even in a failing economy).



I've only been out since Dec 06. I miss it some. I miss my shipmates. Out here there is nothing like it. You go to work then go home.



I also miss having the Federal Holidays off. (most of them anyway..I know there are duty days, but out here they don't care if it is MLK day or Columbus Day..We only get Chrismas, New Year, Thanksgiving, and Labor Day off.)



Oh yeah, I have a $25 co-pay to see my doctor and my Rx cost me between $15-$50 per 30 day supply...