Friday 7 October 2011

What was the most devastating event culturally/socially that changed your life!?

(excluding the Twin Towers) what event in any country any time after 1860 changed the way you think about your country, people, politics, your country, and or life itself?
What was the most devastating event culturally/socially that changed your life!?
Seeing the Berlin Wall fall and Germany reunited was probably the most profound event of my lifetime. I remember it from being in the military and it had armed guards on both sides checking documents. The wall was covered on both sides with bottles that had been sunk into the concrete overcoat and then broken off to discourage people from trying to climb over it. Even the guards from the two sides came together to embrace. I'll never forget it.
What was the most devastating event culturally/socially that changed your life!?
The JFK assassination. I was very young, but I still remember fearing, for the first time, that if our government couldn't even protect it's own leader...where did that leave the rest of us? It also made me realize that no one is too important or powerful to become a victim.
When George W. Bush was %26quot;elected%26quot; into office, it made me realize how the greed of a few can jeopardize the welfare of the masses.
the stolen election back in 2004, made me decide to never vote again.
This entire mess involving the rise of theocratic nations/groups (including America) which causes the death, violence and injustice. Although some would claim that I'm a complete moron and that America is a democratic country, it goes without saying that minorities (race, gender, religion - or lack thereof) are marginalized. As an atheist, I constantly have to answer questions like: %26quot;Why don't you believe in God? Aren't you afraid of hell?%26quot; etc. etc.
When Americans(me) became angry at the begininning of the Iraq war because the French wanted to stay neutral. Remember French Fries being called Freedom Fries? I thought about how America is the most bullyish country and if everybody doesnt do what we want we snub them. I think France is smart for minding their own business - maybe if we did that more everybody else in the world wouldnt hate us?!
When I read mein kamph, malcolm x, and osama bin ladens books all in one sitting.





HEIL HITLAH!!
Learning that jet fuel doesn't vaporize steel.



Sorry, I know you said excluding the twin towers, but that's my answer and I'm sticking to it.
There have been so many, but the Tsunami, Boxing day disaster has to be one of the worst!
When I was stationed in Honduras I got to see the difference

between what happens and what the news said happened.

I was also told what to say to the reporters, and what not to say.

It really opened my eyes to how disillusioned the American public can be.

Not to mention the soldiers involved.