Wednesday 26 October 2011

To all the people who got or own a horse while they are still a teenager, did it change your life?

Did getting/leasing your own horse change your life and if it did how?

Do you think its affected the person you are now?
To all the people who got or own a horse while they are still a teenager, did it change your life?
I was fortunate enough to have my first pony when I was 5...I'm 16 now and there's been about 6 hours in all that time when I've had no pony and about 8 months of that time i've had multiple ponies.



it's changed my life, certainly. if i didn't have my own ponies, i'd still be riding once a week at a riding school and would probably have taken up some other sport or become extremely fat. i would have lost faith in everything - no joke ive sufferd depression and my horses are the thing that got me ththrough. i would be wondering what the future held for me.



thankfully i do have my wonderful ponies and have begun to respect myself i am riding at national level jumpin 1m10-1m20 courses on my 14.2hhs and its no longer my dream to compete pro, its my ambition. i am fitter than i would be thanks to that.



and yeah its also changed my life in small ways. i frequently lose sleep coz im thinking how i shoulda ridden that course. my phone backgrounds are photos of us jumping. my walls are covered with photos and qualification notices. my hero isnt like johnny depp or someone its geoff billington. people think im sad because i use the %26quot;im competing%26quot; excuse for everything ive missed parties gigs everything to jump.



so yeah its changed my life its hard but i cant imagine life without it. and now i understand %26quot;motherly love%26quot;, which i think is important.



oh and i also do better at school because i think ive gotta get grades to get a good job so i can afford horses lol. and that love 4 them makes you understand sad soppy poems in english lit class more!
To all the people who got or own a horse while they are still a teenager, did it change your life?
Change my life? This is what I chose to do and I followed through with it. I love horses and this is who I am so I guess it affected my life tremedously ..being able to care, love, ride horses.
Me I found owning a horse a natural thing as my grandfather was a horseman by trade so it was a natural progression for me



I was riding before I could walk so I was one of the lucky ones thanks to my grandparents
Yes, I have no time for anything except the horses.



It has definitely made me more responsible.
I got my horse for my 16th birthday.



Here are some changes it made:



I didn't get that brand new car (or any car) when I got my license

I had to get a job

My future birthday/christmas presents stopped being cool things like a new cell phone and ipods and turned into fuzzy toe socks

I frequently went to school smelling like a horse and/or with hay in my hair and/or wearing not so fashionable breeches

I suddenly became very poor

Suddenly I was %26quot;responsible%26quot; and expected to pay my horse bills

Any extra money I had in the party/car/fun stash went to my horse



He is definitely worth it and has changed my life, but I'm not so sure about the person you are now bit. He probably has in some way, but I don't know it
Not really changed it, since it is so much a part of my life and has been for a long time. I actually own three great horses and they are everything to me. I dont event, or do shows though i have considered barrel racing. We trail ride and just hang out really. They are all verymuch my best friends and kind of like my children, even if one of them is older then me(: It definetly is a great part of my life, having horses that is.
Definitely. It taught me to be more responsible and grateful for everything (especially spare time!) I have no social life, i have no birthday or Xmas presents for myself, they're all essentials for Lilly. But, it's all worth it if i'm honest. I'd rather have no spare time than too much and getting drunk, stoned and getting an asbo on the streets.
yes!! i got my first horse when i was 9. and i recently got another horse that i compete on in A shows. im 15 now. it has taught me to be really responsible and to try my hardest, especially when i am competing. my horses are the center of my world and i dont know what i would do without them!!%26lt;33
Well I got a horse when I was about 8 and as for changing my life - I'm not sure because I was always around horses and at 8 y/o I had very little life to change.



However, if you mean did it affect how I view the world or animals or learning, I guess I could answer that with a %26quot;YES%26quot; because learning to ride teaches your respect and discipline and allows you to meet people of the same interests who are different from those who do not ride.
Well, i got my frst horse when i was 13 and now ihave 2 horses and im 15. its alot of work bc im the only one in the fam who takes care of them. So have to clen the stalls, ride them, groom them, bath them, feed and water them, pay for vet/farrier, etc. it helped me bc im not doing other things like hanging with the wrong crowd of ppl or doing stuff i shouldnt be doing. And it gave me a respocibity. And it kept me busy during summer and active. But when it comes to school my school work always come frst. so i had to do my homework and study before i could go out and ride them, so yes it has changed the person i am now. And im not sitting around the house i am outide and doing something active.
I think it changed my life. Although my horse has never lived close to me, it still forces you to be more responsible. Your money does vanish a little quicker and you tend to miss social outings to go hang with your horse but I wouldn't change it for anything. I got my horse in the middle of my parents nasty divorce and I really do think I'd be a different person had I not had my horse to help me through. Maybe that sounds stupid but I find you can't really neglect yourself if you have an animal relying on you.