Friday 7 October 2011

Have you ever read a book that changed your life? What was it?

A lot of people talk about novels that are 'life-changing'... what book,if any, do you feel has changed you?
Have you ever read a book that changed your life? What was it?
Non fiction -- The Opposite of Everything is True -- I finally found an author who got my life. As far as I know, it's the only book he ever wrote. He must have been so exhausted by the time he finished. It's only available through used book dealers now, but it is remarkable. I was so taken by the man's writing that I even tried to track him down, but I didn't have any luck.
Have you ever read a book that changed your life? What was it?
The Bible....well not so much the whole Bible but the Gospel according to John........

Best wishes, Mike.
All books change your life. Keep reading.
the Bible (the gospels of Mathew, mark, Luke, and john)
Besides the bible... it was A Separate Reality by Carlos Castenada... all of his first five books were great. It opened up a whle new world for me. I even learned how to astral project reading his books. Is that awesome or what?
Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus. It helped quell some of the existential anxiety I had always experienced. It helped validate some of my own thoughts and feelings.

Also, The Forgotten Fifth, by Gary Nash. This is a great work of historiography and an eye opener concerning african american history.
Torey Hayden one child as it's also true it comes under biography that book is gr8. Also Paulo Coelho the alchemist is life changing and makes you think %26amp; it's a quick read if you dont like thick long reading books. Both books bring out different emotions and are up-lifting.
A prayer for Owen Meany by John Irvine. It is really about fate, and how we are all here for a reason and that we cannot change anything. Its a very spiritual book with many references to the bible, mixed with a nice story about a boy growing up his friendships and relationships.
the bible
Here is my list of life changing books....





http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind鈥?/a>
The Christy Miller serious totally changed mine. It is by Robin Jones Gunn. I have told so many people about it, and I've never heard anyone say they didn't like it or it was just okay. Everyone I've talked to that has read it says they can't put it down and it's awesome. It is encouraging. The Bible is always great, too.
The Bible, for sure. It is the inerrant word of God, reading it is like hearing directly from him.

God Bless!!
The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

I read these books when I was 16 and they helped me understand why I was the way I was. Truly beautiful books that have inspired me in my life.
The Five People you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.
The 4 gospels, Acts of the apostles and There's a spiritual solution to every problem by Dr Wayne W Dyer
'the alchemist' by paulo coelho

'100 years of solitude' by gabriel garcia marquez
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance



read it 30 years ago, transformed the way I thought about what is important, and what isn't
It happened when I was very young, but I have lived by its lesson ever since. The book was %26quot;Horton Hatches the Egg%26quot; by Dr. Seuss. Horton's mantra %26quot;I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful one hundred percent%26quot; taught me to always keep my word.
It was %26quot;The Bridge to Terabithia%26quot; that changed my life!I will never forget that book! The relatinship that was related in the book was so powerfull that now i'm trying to be a better friend to others!Still it is a sad story!!!!!
Any book by Torey Hayden - she was a special needs teacher in America. I'm a trainee teacher and I found her books really inspiring, although they can be a little disturbing sometimes when you read about some of the things that happened to the children she taught, but are fantastic and very inspiring.
The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origin of Knowledge by Jeremy Narby
the book 'Alive !' i couldnt cope with the thought of eating dead bodies and couldnt even pass a butchers shop, i became a vegetarian ! 25 years ago!!!
  • vb
  • horses
  •